First: Use Up Food You Already Have on Hand! (Part 1/2)

Oh, for goodness' sake, if we are going to stock up on food during a quarantine, or pandemic scare, let's not waste it...

So, I started off by using some leftover dinner rolls to make overnight French toast (milk and egg mixture poured over rolls in a baking dish. Cover with foil and put in fridge overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. When eggs are cooked (165 degrees) take out of oven. Ready to eat with your favorite toppings. I used cherry maple syrup and butter)

Next, I roasted up fresh blueberries tossed in olive oil and za'atar seasoning in my toaster oven for 15-20 minutes at 300 degrees. After they cooked I put the blueberries in the fridge. These will be a great snack served on crackers or brioche crisps spread with honey Chevre cheese then sprinkled with chopped toasted walnuts. 

A few days ago I roasted up some celery, onion, and carrots tossed in olive oil with Himalayan sea salt in the oven. I was gifted an extra large bag of carrots and wanted to put them to good use, so they were waiting in the fridge. I made soup last week and had cooked extra mirepoix veggies to have on hand, so those were ready too. 
Those two sets of ingredients went into a large pot to simmer for an hour with two quart boxes of vegetable stock and a large bay leaf. After simmering, 6 peeled and sliced potatoes were added, continuing to simmer until they were soft. The pot was pulled off the heat and 2 teaspoons of fresh minced garlic and 1 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger were added. My handy stick blender then brought it to a smooth and creamy consistency. I finished it off with a large dollop of Greek yogurt and folded it in just so it made a swirl. Thursday dinner (3/12/2020) was Carrot-Ginger soup with crusty multigrain bread, cheeses, and homemade Vanilla Cardamom Plum jam from our backyard tree. All leftovers were eaten for lunch on Friday (3/13/2020).


Comments

Popular Posts